They have been described as "the parasite of the 21st century", while their existence has been identified as human parasites for thousands of years. When they feel danger, they pretend to be dead, hence the well-known phrase "pretends to be a dead bed bug"!
Danger during night time
Why should you care about what bedbugs do in your space? First of all because although they are not considered dangerous for human life, their presence can cause a serious disturbance in our sleep. They appear in the evening and are attracted to the carbon dioxide released by humans and pets during sleep. Their stings do not cause pain, however the majority of people develop an allergic reaction to their secretions, so the trademark rashes that accompany the itching, appear on the skin. A single "bite" is a very serious indication that a population of bed bugs has already settled in your space. They need to be fought before the situation goes away since they are hardy (survive in a wide range of temperatures and atmospheric conditions) and spread rapidly (reproduce up to 500 times in a single year). In fact, if the problem has appeared after your return from a trip or after you have hosted guests, then it is time to take drastic measures!
How bedbugs are transported and where they are usually found:
- In our clothes and luggage after trips, vacations, etc.
- Through objects, such as bedding, mattresses (the most common shelter for bed bugs are mattress seams, crevices and cracks in the bed frame), furniture around the bed, wooden constructions, curtains, tables, etc.
- In apartments with parquet, contaminated objects, through the pipes of the pipes or false ceilings, carpets, etc.
- Wild animals (eg birds, bats).
- Bedbugs avoid light and do not jump. They spend most of their lives in their shelter and are usually active during night time.
Bug control methods
Protect is the solution in bed bug control as well! We carry out a thorough inspection of your facilities to identify the source, as this is one of the most important elements in controlling the infestation. For the treatment of bed bugs, disinfestation is performed and various methods are applied:
• Use of Insecticides: low toxicity and long lasting insecticides (approved for residential applications) are used in residual sprays or cold and hot sprays with the help of special devices, even for the suction of eggs from the surfaces where they are born. The ecological cleaning of mattresses (bio-cleaning) is done with a special device.
• Fumigation: This is done with the usage of insecticides in the form of gas, for extensive and difficult cases to deal with.
As extreme temperatures and lack of oxygen kill insects at all stages, biological methods are also used:
• Heat Treatment: This is an alternative method of treatment for the control of insects, using high temperatures, thanks to which, disinfection (microbicide) is achieved additionaly.
• Use of Dry Ice: This is also an alternative method of treatment which has to do with the disinfestation through the usage of low temperatures achieved by applying dry ice produced with the help of special devices, which operate on the basis of carbon dioxide (CO2) or nitrogen (N2) .
• Modified atmosphere: This method minimizes the concentration of oxygen (O2) in the space, resulting to the death of insects.
Remember that bedbugs can be found even in expensive hotels, luxury homes, offices and businesses, and even public places, and that their presence has nothing to do with financial stability or cleanliness. Anyone can pick up and carry bed bugs, so you should not underestimate them!